Midsummer Breaks - Unintended Consequences and Mint Chocolate Muffins.

I'm taking an unintended break from the chainmaille for a few days. I also do cat rescue/rehoming due to our area being a dumping ground for unwanted cats. So on Tuesday while attempting to care for one of the kittens born in our neighborhood this summer I got bit by a kitten who couldn't see and was unable to tell that I was trying to help. So no mailling or anything that involves me using my index finger in a normal fashion for a few days.

Bored, I ventured into the kitchen. I adore sourdough bread, and other things made with the sourdough starter, when I can find a good easy recipe that works I stick with it. The part I hate is that I have to regularly throw out a good bit of starter to revive the mix that's been frozen to the back of the fridge or that just needs life breathed back into it. So I'm always on the hunt for good useful recipes that use the discarded starter rather than requiring me to toss a useful entity every time.

Today I got lucky. Very lucky. I was looking on Pinterest for a sourdough recipe that didn't involve 3 days of work for the intended outcome.

I found a pretty picture of chocolate chip muffins, sourdough chocolate chip muffins. And it led me to a link that no longer worked...of course...because that's how most things on Pinterest work it seems. If it looks too good to be true, it is, or it links to a site no longer working...

Well luckily for me I didn't give up just yet. I wandered the internet some more and found a recipe on foodgawker.com - that looked similar but not identical to the one I saw on Pinterest.

And I tried it.



Ignore the pile of other stuff on my kitchen counter. Look at the yumminess!

I altered the altered recipe I found on foodgawker and made my own double chocolate mint chip sourdough muffins.

For those of you who hate all things sourdough, but like chocolate, or mint, or kittens...you really should try these. There's zero trace of the sourdough flavor at all, and that's saying a lot as my Indiana raised starter has a very tangy, almost smoky flavor.

They mixed up in a matter of minutes and were on their way to a very hot oven. Twenty minutes later I had that bevvy of beautiful homemade goodness without anything un-natural about them - ok maybe the green mint-chips aren't natural but there's no preservatives, no chemical laden laundry list of ingredients...and the best part. They taste good. Really good.

Me, never being satisfied with just mint chocolate. I forsee a large variety of these little snacks in my future. I can also see the need to expand my jar of sourdough starter...which I did when I fed my starter after making these.

Oh dear...I need another jar.

The recipe breakdown on this ends up about as follows:
(per muffin)...ok so they're not healthy by any means...but they're not disgustingly unhealthy either. The next rendition of these won't be anywhere near this healthy. But they'll be as natural as can be...

 12 Servings
Amount Per Serving
  Calories190.1
  Total Fat8.1 g
     Saturated Fat5.2 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat0.3 g
     Monounsaturated Fat1.1 g
  Cholesterol15.5 mg
  Sodium160.7 mg
  Potassium60.1 mg
  Total Carbohydrate28.2 g
     Dietary Fiber1.0 g
     Sugars13.5 g
  Protein2.8 g

0 comments:

Post a Comment